In South Africa, according to Section 23: Labour Relations in the Constitution, Every Worker has the right to join a trade union. All employees including Management who are not involved in hiring and firing Can become Union members.
The only limitation for a manager joining is That they cannot stand for Shop steward elections .
The specific labour laws regarding trade unions are:
1. Every worker has the right to form and join a trade union and to participate in the union’s activities
2. Every worker has the right to strike
3. Every employer has the right to form and join an employers’ organisation and to participate in the activities of the organisation
4. Every trade union, employers’ organisation and employer has the right to engage in collective bargaining
5. Everyone has the right to fair labour practices
1. The benefit of being part of an organised group who pull together around workplace
2. SATAWU stand to get better protection from unfair treatment and victimisation and increased job security
3. SATAWU have a benefit of skilled negotiators and trained labour specialists who will strive to get the best possible deal for workers in their workplaces
4. Topics ranging from paid maternity leave to salary increases to safety in the workplace are all dealt with as a group
5. SATAWU will accompany you to a disciplinary hearing and represent you if you’re in dispute with your employers
1. 24hr, 365 days a year health help line for all personal and family health needs
2. Discounted Airtime and Data on EVERY purchase
3. VIP access to micro loans and debt repayment plans through our finance partner Atlas Finance
1. Funeral Cover up to R20 000 and support services
2. Comprehensive Legal support, including specialized services
3. Education support from Grade 1 -12. Our program includes
4. Shopping Discounts
1. Monthly Giveaways for top performing locals, provinces and individuals
2. All members are automatically put into the SATAWU Rewards prizes draw, with 100’s of prizes to be given away every month.
3. An Annual Awards ceremony to congratulate the top performers in the various fields